Speak to an advisor: +65 6929 8273

Internship and student visas in Singapore

4 minute read


You are likely reading this guide as an employer who is interested in getting an intern on board for your company, and want clarity on the criteria and processes for internships and student visas in Singapore.

That, or you’re a curious and conscientious student looking to understand their options for working in Singapore?

Interns (university students looking for work experience) can be a great source of up-and-coming talent when you’re looking for more hands to help grow the business. Interns are tech-savvy, comparably cheaper to hire in comparison to a full-time employee and often have an enthusiasm to tackle mundane or non-urgent items in exchange for real-world experience, which can free your staff to tackle higher-value projects.

Even if a student attends a Singapore university, it’s common to still need an appropriate visa if they are an international student. Let’s dive into the two main types: the Work Holiday Pass and the Student Pass.


Work Holiday Pass (WHP) under Work Holiday Programme

The Work Holiday Pass allows qualified foreign students to intern in Singapore for a period of up to 6 months. This is the most flexible pass as it does not have a cap to the amount of hours an intern can work. A WHP has a quota of 2,000 applicants at any one time.

In order for a candidate to apply for a Work Holiday Pass, the intern must meet the following criteria:

  • Aged 18 to 25
  • Undergraduate or graduate of a university in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland, United Kingdom or the United States
  • University is recognised by the government of the respective ten countries or regions.
  • For undergraduates: They have to be a resident and a full-time student of the university for at least 3 months before applying for the WHP
  • For graduates: They have to be a resident and a full-time student of the university

A WHP is not restricted to specific job roles. However, if your intern will be working in a profession such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, architecture or law, he or she would need to comply with registration requirements to practice in Singapore. Since the duration of the job is short, there is no minimum salary requirement.

Work pass exemption for foreign students with a Student Pass

If your candidate is not suitable for a Work Holiday Pass, you may still hire your intern – if they have a Student Pass – via the work pass exemption for foreign students.

In order to apply for the work pass exemption, the intern needs to:

  1. Have a Student Pass
  2. Be from one of the approved institutions listed by MOM, and
  3. Not be an exchange student doing study modules in Singapore.

For those seeking employment during school vacation

If your intern is on vacation in Singapore, they are allowed to work during that period without obtaining a work pass. They would have to meet all the requirements listed below for them to be eligible to work in Singapore:

They will still be allowed to work if they are waiting for their final examination results or convocation from an approved institution. Once they have completed their studies and their Student Pass expires, you would have to apply for a Work Pass for them if you would still want the intern to be working in your company.

For those seeking employment during school term

If you plan on hiring someone who is still in the midst of studying, they would still have to comply with the two requirements listed above. Additionally, as an employer you need to ensure:

  • Your candidate can only work a maximum of 16 hours a week, or
  • Working at the job is under an industrial attachment programme conducted by a University or educational institution. The attachment can either be compulsory or an elective but it has to contribute towards your candidate’s graduation requirements.

Next steps

If you need more information about applying for the right visa for your intern (or other employees), you can get in touch with us today.


You might be interested in reading about:

Ready to start your business?

Our expert team is here to help you. Explore our visa services or contact our team to get personalised advice today.

Got questions?

Get them answered for FREE by our experts.

Become a part of the Sleek Community now!

Other articles that might interest you

Related content

Thumbnail for an article on sole prop Vs Pte Ltd in Singapore

Sole Proprietorship vs Pte Ltd

Sole Proprietorship vs Pte Ltd: What’s The Best Choice in Singapore? Last updated: March 2024 .st0{fill:#FFFFFF;} .st1{fill:#438CEF;} .st0{fill:#FFFFFF;} .st1{fill:#5DA4F5;} .st0{fill:#FFFFFF;}

Contact us

We’d love to help. Share your contact details and we’ll call you back

Start a business in less than 3 hours with us. Talk to our experts today.

Chat with us on WhatsApp from your mobile

Sleek SG QR Code Whatsapp

30 Days Money Back Guarantee

Our refund policy:

We care about you – within 30 days from your purchase, if you’re unhappy with our services, we’ll refund our fee. Email or call us, and we’ll process the refund within five working days.

What it doesn’t cover:

We will not be able to refund Government fees once the application has been submitted, nor any third-party processing fees.

When it applies:

We cannot guarantee any specific legal outcomes when you use our services. For instance, a company registration might be filed correctly but still get rejected by the Company Registry for reasons beyond our control. We can only refund our fees for issues we are directly responsible for. In the case that you purchase a service and later change your mind, we can’t issue a refund.

Our customer support team is at your disposal for any questions or issue you may face.

Need help?

Our sales team is available from Mon - Fri 8am to 8pm (Singapore Time)

Let's get in touch

Book a time with our experts to guide you in finding the best solution.