Speak to an advisor: +65 6929 8273

FAQs: The Dependant’s Pass and Letter of Consent in Singapore

3 minute read


If you are working in Singapore, you can apply for a Dependant’s Pass (DP) to let your family come live with you in Singapore. The DP is a visa that allows spouses and children aged below 21 years old to relocate and live together with the EP holder. It opens doors for unique perks such as education and lifestyle opportunities in Singapore. You can also work in Singapore, if you are granted a Letter of Consent (LOC).


Key facts about the Dependant’s Pass

  • Can be issued to an EP/PEP’s legal spouse and their children under 21
  • Allows for free entry/exit without stay limitations as long as the EP holder remains employed
  • DP holders can work, subject to receiving a Letter of Consent (see below)

Key facts about the Letter of Consent

  • The DP must be valid for at least 3 months
  • There is no minimum salary requirement
  • The job offered to the dependant must be with a Singapore employer
  • For selected professions, additional documents will need to be submitted. These include mainly lawyers, healthcare professionals, and food establishment employees.
  • The LOC can be cancelled by the employer when dependant is no longer employed.

Who is eligible for a DP?

A DP only covers a spouse (this must be a legal spouse, or recognised as a de-facto/common law spouse by their country of origin), and/or children (if they are under 21).  If your relationship falls outside of this, they do not qualify for a DP.

An individual working in Singapore can apply for a DP for their spouse or children if he or she:

  • holds an Employment Pass (EP), Entrepass or a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
  • has a minimum fixed monthly salary of S$6000
  • has a sponsor from an established, Singapore-registered company

For Entrepass holders, you will be subjected to another set of criteria:

  • Your business must meet the minimum annual spending of S$100,00 and employ at least 1 local PME (professional, manager or executive)* or 3 FTEs (full-time employees)**

*PME refers to Singaporean or Permanent Residents earning at least 3,600 SGD
** FTE refers to Singaporean or Permanent Residents earning at least 1,100 SGD

Can I apply for a Dependant’s Pass for my parents?

No, parents do not fall under a Dependant’s Pass but they may qualify for a Long Term Visit Pass.

Can a DP holder work in Singapore?

Yes! A dependant’s pass holder can work in Singapore, as long as he/she obtains a Letter of Consent (LOC) from his/her future employer.

How do I apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC)?

Once your spouse has successfully obtained a DP, he/she needs to obtain a Letter of Consent (LOC) to work legally in Singapore from their future employer. The process is done online through the EP online account of the future employer of the DP holder and the Ministry of Manpower takes around 3-5 weeks to issue an outcome.

Next steps

If you need assistance with your DP or Letter of Consent application, Sleek can help you manoeuver through the process for you and your family with our reliable support. Get in touch to learn more and get started.


You might be interested in reading about:

Ready to start your business?

Our expert team is here to help you. Explore our visa services or contact our team to get personalised advice today.

Stay up to date with Sleek

Got questions?

Get them answered for FREE by our experts.

Become a part of the Sleek Community now!

Other articles that might interest you

Related content

Let’s Connect
Leave our friendly team a message and we’ll be in touch in no time.

Need expert advice?