Speak to an advisor: +65 6929 8273

5 Steps for Dependant Pass holders When Starting Business in Singapore


Are you a Dependant Pass holder in Singapore? Congratulations! You have the opportunity to start your own business in this thriving city-state. With its robust economy and business-friendly environment, Singapore offers an ideal platform for aspiring entrepreneurs. But before you take the plunge into entrepreneurship, it’s crucial to understand the steps involved as a Dependant Pass holder. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of starting a business in Singapore while holding a Dependant’s Pass. From eligibility requirements to application procedures and working regulations, we’ve got you covered! So let’s dive right in and explore the five essential steps every Dependant Pass holder should know when embarking on their entrepreneurial journey in Singapore.

Eligibility for a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore

As a Dependant Pass holder, it’s important to first understand the eligibility requirements for obtaining and maintaining this pass in Singapore. The Dependant’s Pass is typically issued to spouses and children (under 21 years old) of Employment Pass or S Pass holders.

To be eligible for a Dependant’s Pass, you must meet certain criteria. Your spouse or parent should hold an Employment Pass or S Pass with a minimum fixed monthly salary of SGD 6,000. You need to be legally married to the Employment/S Pass holder if you are their spouse. If you are their child, you must be unmarried and below 21 years old.

It’s worth noting that common-law spouses and stepchildren can also apply for a Dependant’s Pass under specific circumstances. In such cases, additional documentation may be required to prove the relationship.

Furthermore, as a dependent seeking approval for a business venture in Singapore, there are other factors to consider regarding your eligibility. These include having sufficient funds and resources available for investment in your proposed business endeavor.

Remember that each application will be assessed on its own merits by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). It is essential to provide all necessary documents and fulfill all requirements accurately when applying for the Dependant’s Pass.

Meeting the eligibility criteria is crucial as it determines whether or not you qualify for the coveted Dependant’s Pass in Singapore while pursuing your entrepreneurial aspirations. Now that we understand who qualifies as a dependant let’s move on to understanding what requirements need fulfilling before being granted one!

Requirements for a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore

To apply for a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore, there are certain requirements that need to be met. The main applicant must hold an Employment Pass (EP), EntrePass or Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) with a minimum fixed monthly salary of $6,000.

The applicant must be legally married to the main pass holder. This means that common-law marriages or same-sex partnerships are not eligible for a Dependant’s Pass. If you are unmarried but have children under 21 years old who wish to join you in Singapore, they can also be included in your application.

Applicants must provide supporting documents such as marriage certificates and birth certificates of any accompanying children. These documents should be submitted along with the application form and other required paperwork.

Additionally, it is important for applicants to note that their eligibility will also depend on their sponsor’s employment status and validity of his or her pass. The sponsor should have a valid work permit issued by a Singaporean employer before applying for a Dependant’s Pass.

It is crucial for applicants to have medical insurance coverage during their stay in Singapore. They should ensure that they meet the minimum coverage requirement set by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). This ensures that they will not burden Singapore’s healthcare system if any medical issues arise during their time here.

By meeting these requirements and submitting all necessary documentation accurately and promptly, individuals can increase their chances of obtaining a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore without much hassle or delay.

Ready to Start Your Business? Let Sleek Guide Your First Steps as a Dependant Pass Holder. Begin Your Journey Today!

Application Process for a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore

Applying for a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore is a relatively straightforward process. Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. Gather all the necessary documents: Before applying, make sure you have all the required documents ready. This typically includes your passport, proof of relationship (such as marriage certificate or birth certificate), and educational certificates.

2. Submit an online application: The next step is to submit an online application through the Ministry of Manpower’s website. You will need to create an account and provide details about yourself, your sponsor (the person holding an Employment Pass or S Pass), and your relationship with them.

3. Pay the application fee: Once you have submitted your application, you will need to pay a processing fee. As of 2021, the fee for a Dependant’s Pass application is SGD $225.

4. Wait for approval: After submitting your application and payment, it can take up to eight weeks for the Ministry of Manpower to process it. During this time, they may request additional documents or information if needed.

5. Collect your Dependant’s Pass card: If your application is approved, you will receive a Letter of Approval via email which allows you to collect the Dependant’s Pass card from any SingPost branch in Singapore within six months from its issue date.

Remember that each case is unique, so it’s important to carefully review all requirements and guidelines provided by the Ministry of Manpower before submitting your application.

Renewing a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore

Once you have successfully obtained a Dependant’s Pass in Singapore, it is important to be aware of the renewal process to ensure that you can continue living and working in the country without any disruptions. Here are five steps to follow when renewing your Dependant’s Pass:

1. Plan ahead: It is advisable to start the renewal process at least two months before your current pass expires. This will give you ample time to gather all the necessary documents and complete the application.

2. Check eligibility: Before proceeding with the renewal, make sure that you still meet the eligibility criteria for a Dependant’s Pass. The main requirement is being married or having children under 21 years old who hold valid Long-Term Visit Passes or Student’s Passes.

3. Gather required documents: Prepare all necessary documents such as passport copies, proof of relationship (e.g., marriage certificate), employment offer letter if applicable, and any other supporting documentation needed for verification.

4. Submit online application: Renewal applications for Dependant’s Passes are done online through EP Online portal. Log in using your SingPass credentials and fill out the renewal form accurately with up-to-date information.

5. Pay processing fee: Once your application has been submitted, there will be a non-refundable processing fee payable by credit card or internet banking. Make sure to keep track of payment confirmation details for future reference.

Remember, timely submission of your renewal application is crucial as failure to do so may result in penalties or even cancellation of your existing pass status. By following these steps diligently, you can ensure a smooth transition from one pass term to another and continue enjoying life as a dependant pass holder in Singapore.

Working as a Dependant Pass holder in Singapore

Once you have successfully obtained a Dependant’s Pass and settled in Singapore, you may be wondering if you are allowed to work. The good news is that as a dependent of an Employment Pass or S Pass holder, you are eligible to seek employment in Singapore.

Here are some important things to keep in mind when it comes to working on your Dependant’s Pass:

1. Letter of Consent (LOC): In order to work, you will need to apply for a Letter of Consent from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) before starting any employment. This letter allows employers to hire DP holders without having to separately apply for a work visa.

2. Eligibility: To be eligible for an LOC, both you and your spouse must meet certain criteria set by MOM. Your spouse should hold an Employment pass with a minimum salary requirement, and your employer must also fulfill specific requirements.

3. Duration: The duration of the LOC will typically match the validity period of your spouse’s Employment or S Pass. It is essential to note that once your LOC expires, you will need to renew it along with your dependent’s pass.

4. Job Flexibility: Once granted an LOC, there are no restrictions on the type or sector of employment you can pursue in Singapore. You have the flexibility to choose part-time or full-time roles based on what suits your personal circumstances best.

5. Income Tax Obligations: As an employed DP holder earning income in Singapore, it is crucial that you adhere to local tax regulations and file annual tax returns accordingly.

By following these steps and ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and guidelines set by MOM and other government agencies, working as a Dependant Pass holder can provide excellent opportunities for personal growth and contribute positively towards building your professional career while living in vibrant Singapore!

Remember always stay informed about any updates regarding immigration policies through official channels like MOM website so that you can make the most of your Dependant’s Pass and working opportunities in Singapore.

Ready to Start Your Business? Let Sleek Guide Your First Steps as a Dependant Pass Holder. Begin Your Journey Today!

Disclaimer: The information on this website is intended for general informational purposes only and may not be specifically relevant to everyone’s personal situation. It should not be considered financial advice or a substitute for professional tax or accounting advice. Each individual’s circumstances are unique, and laws can vary. For tailored advice, please consult a qualified professional. Contact Sleek for further information.

Ready to start your business?

Our expert team is here to help you. Explore our incorporation services or contact our team to get personalised advice today.

Start a business in less than 3 hours with us. Talk to our experts today.

Got questions?

Get them answered for FREE by our experts.

Become a part of the Sleek Community now!


We'd love to help. Share your contact details and we'll call you back


Start a business in less than 3 hours with us. Talk to our experts today.

Chat with us on WhatsApp from your mobile

Sleek SG QR Code Whatsapp
30D money back

30 Days Money Back Guarantee

Our refund policy:

We care about you – within 30 days from your purchase, if you’re unhappy with our services, we’ll refund our fee. Email or call us, and we’ll process the refund within five working days.

What it doesn’t cover:

We will not be able to refund Government fees once the application has been submitted, nor any third-party processing fees.

When it applies:

We cannot guarantee any specific legal outcomes when you use our services. For instance, a company registration might be filed correctly but still get rejected by the Company Registry for reasons beyond our control. We can only refund our fees for issues we are directly responsible for. In the case that you purchase a service and later change your mind, we can’t issue a refund.

Our customer support team is at your disposal for any questions or issue you may face.

Need help?

Our sales team is available from Mon - Fri 9am to 10pm (Singapore Time)

Let's get in touch

Book a time with our experts to guide you in finding the best solution.