Speak to an advisor: +852 5803 2409

Get HK$688 off our accounting services


Guide to getting a Chinese visa in Hong Kong

6 minute read

The Chinese laws and policies regarding immigration have always been rigorous when compared to most European countries.

However, when it comes to the region of Hong Kong, citizens of the EU, Americans, the British, Canadians, and the Irish can legally enter with no visa. A passport is all that is needed.

If you plan on obtaining a China visa while in Hong Kong, you should save the stamp or sticker you receive when entering Hong Kong. To go to China, you will need that along with a Chinese visa.

As you can probably guess, acquiring a Chinese visa is a somewhat complex process.

Luckily, this guide is enough to equip you with the right knowledge. It will tell you exactly what you need to know to successfully enter Mainland China.


How do I get a visa for China in Hong Kong?

Let’s first note that Americans, Canadians, Australians, and citizens of the EU don’t need a visa for Hong Kong as long as they stay for less than 90 days (with the exception of the UK citizens, they can stay 180 days).

Once an individual arrives in Hong Kong, a customs officer will stamp a Visa Exemption ticket on their passport. This stamp specifies the duration of one’s legal stay in Hong Kong without a visa.

From here, if you want to go to China, bear in mind that you can find an agency to help you acquire a Chinese visa or you can contact the Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC).

Option 1: Using an agency

Many visa holders claim that turning to an agency to help you with getting a Chinese visa is by far the best and most convenient option.

Individuals who haven’t lived in China on a tourist or business visa can obtain a 60-day tourist visa. This is the so-called double-entry method and it means that you need to leave and then can go back to China after 30 days.

However, if you want to stay longer, you should ask for a multi-entry visa, which covers 6 to 12-month of business stay in China.

Do know that if you acquire a multi-entry business visa for 90, 180 or 365 days, you will need to leave China every 30, 60 or 90 days. This varies according to the visa you obtain.

Unfortunately, in order to get a business visa with a 90, 180 or 365 duration, you need to have had a Chinese visa obtained in the past outside of the Chinese borders.

If you have already been to China, your passport also needs to have at least one stamp from the country’s immigration office.

Finally, a good agency takes two to three business days to secure you a short-term visa (a tourist or business visa). Moreover, it will take up to fifteen days for an agency to secure you a 6 or 12- month business visa.

Note: The multi-entry 6 to 12-month visa is not available for all nationalities and it usually costs more.

Option 2: The Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC)

The second option that can be used when it comes to obtaining a Chinese visa is through the CVASC.

If you decide to visit the official Chinese Visa Application Service center, you can contact them or visit their website for more information.

Tel: + 852 29921999

Fax: + 852 29891116

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.visaforchina.org

Take a look at all the documents you need if you decide to visit the CVASC.

The visa fees you need to cover can be found on this page.

To schedule your appointment regarding the visa application, click here.

List of documents required

To go through the visa acquiring process smoothly, make sure that you gather the following:

  • Arrival and departure dates
  • Places planned to be visited
  • Travel itinerary with round trip tickets to and from China
  • Copies of all hotel bookings during your stay in the People’s Republic of China
  • Copy of the first key passport pages (pages with the photo and essential information)
  • Passport photo
  • Copy of the arrival stamp (from Hong Kong)
  • Visa application form (one can be found and filled out at the visa agency)

Processing time

As it was already mentioned, the processing time depends on the type of visa you are applying for.

In general, during the rush season, it takes about four days (business days) to get a visa. But, if you need it to be delivered faster, you will have to pay an extra fee.

Also, know that prices change every so often and it is best that you contact the agency you plan to use in advance just to be 100% sure.

How much is a China visa in Hong Kong?

The prices change from time to time. It is best to contact the agency regarding these details.

However, the prices from April 2019 can be found below.

  • Single Entry Visa: HK$760 ($96.89)
  • Double Entry Visa: HK$970 ($123.66)
  • Multiple Entry (6 months): HK$1,170 ($149.16)
  • Multiple (12 and 36 months): HK$1,530 ($195.06)

The US citizens pay HK$ 1,100 ($140.14) for a single entry visa.

The UK citizens pay HK$940 ($119.77) for a single entry visa.

Do you need a Chinese visa to go to Hong Kong?

Hong Kong is a part of China. However, the region has its own entry regulations.

In general, Hong Kong is a very open region for foreigners who simply want to visit as tourists or to conduct their business activities (e.g. visiting clients and prospects, providing training, or attending trade fairs).

Therefore, you don’t really need a Chinese visa specifically to enter Hong Kong.

However, keep in mind that all countries and Chinese SARs do have the right to refuse entry to any person. In some cases, even when you have a visa, you can be denied entry at the border.

Wrap Up

Hopefully, you now have a clear picture of what it takes to obtain a Chinese visa in Hong Kong.

Remember, Hong Kong is part of China, but there are laws and regulations that are different from the Mainland when it comes to entry.

So, revise this guide one more time and be extra careful when gathering the supporting documents.

Talk to our sales team to get started!

Ready to grow your business?

Our expert team is here to help you. Explore our incorporation services or contact our team to get personalised advice today.

Start a business in less than 3 hours with us. Talk to our experts today.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Our jam-packed newsletter covers monthly compliance updates, upcoming events and exclusive offers

Other articles that might interest you

Related content


We'd love to help. Share your contact details and we'll call you back!

WhatsApp Us
whatsapp icon

Chat with us on WhatsApp from your mobile

30 day moneyback guarantee

30 Days Money Back Guarantee

Our refund policy:

We care about you – within 30 days from your purchase, if you’re unhappy with our services, we’ll refund our fee. Email or call us, and we’ll process the refund within five working days.

What it doesn’t cover:

We will not be able to refund Government fees once the application has been submitted, nor any third-party processing fees.

When it applies:

We cannot guarantee any specific legal outcomes when you use our services. For instance, a company registration might be filed correctly but still get rejected by the Company Registry for reasons beyond our control. We can only refund our fees for issues we are directly responsible for. In the case that you purchase a service and later change your mind, we can’t issue a refund.

Our customer support team is at your disposal for any questions or issue you may face.

Need help?

Our sales team is available from Mon - Fri 9am to 7pm (Hong Kong Time)

Let's get in touch

Book a time with our experts to guide you in finding the best solution.